Welcome


The Because Project asks Vermonters to share their stories about people and experiences that have shaped their lives, especially during their formative years — stories that may inspire others to get involved. Because together, we can all make a difference.

The Vermont Children's Trust Foundation supports statewide prevention programs for children and families to help give all kids a fair chance at success. VCTF believes that "Community creates good kids." Engaged parents, outstanding teachers and involved community members create opportunities for children to learn, to be inspired and to thrive.
Kids VT
VTCF is partnering with Kids VT, Vermont's only parenting magazine. Kids VT will publish one story each month in its magazine and on its website.


Thursday, March 1, 2012

I became a community activist because of my great-grandmother and my grandson

Melinda Moulton
 
I had a wonderful great grandmother, Maria Charlotte deBrandt Mader, who immigrated from Alsace-Lorraine in the early 1900's and settled in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania where she and her husband had a flower nursery that specialized in roses which were sold in New York and Philadelphia

During my young life in the 1950’s I spent a lot of time with my Nana. She was a successful businesswoman and an environmentalist. She taught me about leadership, fairness, compassion, the art of giving, the beauty and power of the Earth, and she often stressed how everything a person says or does has an impact on the rest of the world. I remember her telling me that empowering people and giving them a voice (even though they may not agree with you) was virtuous. She would say “always say good things about people or say nothing at all”. She treated everyone like a friend, and her indomitable spirit made her flower nursery (and her life) highly respected and successful.

Today I am the grandmother of four beautiful grandchildren. I think of Nana a lot now because she had a tremendous impact on me and I hope I can follow in her footsteps with my own children’s children.

My seven year old grandson was diagnosed with autism at the age of 2. Although he cannot yet communicate with me, he has taught me about strength, self-confidence, and courage. He has taught me about patience and being in touch with the human heart. I have learned to be quiet and just listen, to respect people’s boundaries, and embrace the simple pleasures of life. He has taught me that everyone has their own perspective and unique gifts. He demonstrates every day that happiness comes from within and what matters most in life are those simple worldly delights that smell good, feel interesting, look intriguing, taste yummy, and sound beautiful.

From the ageless wisdom of my Nana to the enlightened purity of my speechless grandson’s searching mind, I continue to learn lessons that I can apply to life. The ultimate wisdom both of these remarkable people have given me is to be true to oneself, strive to protect the Earth, invest in one’s community, uplift those we serve and those who serve us, and never give up the tireless work of improving the future for all our children and their children’s children.

— Melinda Moulton, CEO, Main Street Landing